Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Negatives



The word not is used with do to make a verb negative, as in I don't have any money (don't = do not). No is used as an adjective in front of a noun, as in I have no money. Both of these examples are acceptable ways of expressing the idea that you do not have something.


Note these contracted negative forms with do:


I don't
you don't
he, she doesn't
they don't
we don't


Here are some affirmative words and their negative forms in English:


AFFIRMATIVES


someone, anybody
something, anything
still
ever
either... or


NEGATIVES


no one, nobody
nothing
no longer
never
neither... nor


Avoid using more than one negative in a clause:


–I don't have any money.
NOT: I don't have no money.


–They don't see anybody.
NOT: They don't see nobody.


–I didn't do anything.
NOT: I didn't do nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Parts of Speech